Monday, August 23, 2010

Water Wiggle = Waste of Water


Toys that didn't work as advertised were a rampant problem in the 80's. In the commercial, they would be these magnificent specimens of playtime engineering, but in reality, they didn't work at all. I remember my Mom getting us a water wiggle one hot summer, my little head filled with dreams of outdoor refreshment. We plugged it into our hose and cranked it up. The commercial depicts it as a magical ghost like creature, hovering around the yard on a jet stream of water. Since it was much heavier at its top, however, the reality was that it took an immediate nose dive into the ground and proceeded to shoot water straight up into the air. I'm reminded of the old NASA footage of an early rocket lifting off briefly, only to flip over and crash right into the ground (youtube is failing me at the moment).

In the end, Wham-O made off with our 12 bucks as it helped some rubber magnate dispose of its stock of an unusable gauge of hose.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember this toy. That said, it looks like a bell-end floating around ready to fuck you in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the head flipping off of the toy too.

    ReplyDelete